- Shelfmark: B 5, V48
- Date(s) of creation: approx. 1850 - 2005
- Typed of record: administrative documents
The Dr. Senckenberg Foundation was established in 1763, by Johann Christian Senckenberg. Senckenberg's main aim was to "improve the health care of local residents and to care for the poor sick" in Frankfurt. In 1765, Senckenberg broadened the Foundation's purpose to include a community hospital and from 1766 onwards, the botanical garden and an anatomy, equipped with the most modern facilities, were established on the foundation grounds near the Eschenheimer Tor. While the Bürgerhospital (community hospital) was relocated to new buildings on the Nibelungenallee in 1909, the other Senckenberg institutes were transferred to the Johann Wolfgang von Goethe University, which was founded in 1912.
In 1920, the Foundation's archives were handed over to the City Archives, but in 1934, at the instigation of August de Bary, they were returned to the Foundation and reunited with Senckenberg's records, which had previously been kept in the Senckenberg Library. In 1964/65, the Foundation, the Johann Wolfgang Goethe University and the Municipal and University Library agreed to keep the archive in the Municipal and University Library as a deposit. In 1988, the archive was finally divided into three parts: One quarter, in particular the records of Johann Christian Senckenberg, remained in the Senckenberg Library. Most of the files and volumes were handed over to the City Archive as a deposit. Another quarter of the archive remained in the Bürgerhospital. The Digital Senckenberg Archive now consolidates the holdings digitally for the first time.